Africa Fintech Summit’s Alpha Expo program provides an opportunity for up to 15 early-stage startups to exhibit and demo their products to a wide variety of stakeholders. Startups have met prospective investors, partners, and customers through the Alpha Expo program and several have been accepted to top accelerator programs!
This year, AFTS is collaborating with leading accelerators, investors, and technology partners to offer startups the first ever AFTS Virtual Bootcamp themed around supporting startups in their efforts to get “investor ready.” (Click here to jump straight to some of the lessons)
14 startups were selected to participate in the virtual bootcamp on April 16th. Following the bootcamp, startups have 6 months to apply their learnings before they are invited back to exhibit at the 5th Africa Fintech Summit on October 16, 2020 in Washington, D.C. Bootcamp mentors will check on the progress of bootcamp participants and 3 will be invited to pitch at #AFTSDC2020 for the chance to win $1M at the Startup World Cup semi-finals!
The bootcamp agenda this year was structured like a 1-day, intensive masterclass. Session topics were scheduled in the same order that a startup would bring a product to market, mainly:
- Establishing & validating product/market fit
- Go-to-market strategy and execution
- Investor readiness
If you’re a startup and interested in hearing best practices and some of the lessons from the bootcamp check out the two videos below!
Following April’s bootcamp, this is how the program works:
Startups that are selected to participate in the Alpha Expo program receive the following:
- 1-day virtual bootcamp on April 16, 2020
- 2 complimentary delegate passes ($600 value) to AFTS DC in October 2020
- An exhibition table at AFTS DC to promote and pitch your product
- 3 candidates will be selected to pitch at AFTS DC – the winner will be invited to pitch again at the Startup World Cup semi-finals in May 2021
Any startup in fintech or a fintech- adjacent sector (InsurTech, TradeTech, AgTech+FinTech product, etc.) that:
- Brings in less than US $1M in annual revenue
- Is based in Africa or focuses predominantly on the African market
- Operates in at least one African country
See photos from previous Alpha Expo cohorts here and connect with us on social!
Applications closed on April 1, 2020.